Minutes of the NSAAC Business Meeting November 7, 2014
President Hocker called the November Business Meeting of the NSAAC to order at 8:05 PM. There were five members present plus four Board members. There was a quorum. Meeting was official.
Minutes of the October Business meeting were approved by acclamation.
Kevin Ackert gave a brief report.
There are currently 101 members in good standing.
Early Meeting Announcements:
Open forum on the agenda after New Business
Kevin Ackert said that the weather prevented his opening the observatory. He usually checks the website to see if anyone has visited the Merrimack site and then determines whether or not to open the dome in questionable weather.
Dennis Gudzevich opened the opened the observatory on September 6th with 18 visitors mostly students and on the 27nd with 11 visitors and 11 students. He does not know why so many students are showing up.
News, Correspondence, and Upcoming Activities:
Club received a request for Domain Name renewal. Brewster LaMacchia suggested that we renew for five years and he will take care of it.
Star Party Committee:
October Star Parties:
- 14th – Glen Urquhart School in Beverly was a first time event. There was an enthusiastic crowd of about 60 students and parents. Both parents and students were more interested and experienced in the night sky than most people at a star party. Scopes were provided by David Aucoin, John Hobbs, and Brewster LaMacchia.
- 30th – Pollard Elementary School in Plaistow, NH. Bryan Stone and Brewster LaMacchia were two of about 10 scopes set up for this event, which was held next to the observatory at the High School. Clouds stayed away for about an hour, so everyone got to see something.
In November we have (details will be posted to the club list server):
- Nov 13th Sanborn Elementary School, Andover. 150+ people. 3 presentations 6:30, 7:00, 7:30. Observing 7 – 8:30
- Nov 18th North Reading Public Library – Cloud or clear event. Presentation by Kevin Hocker., observing afterwards across the street at the top of the hill.
- Nov 25th Bancroft Elementary, Andover. 100+ people. 2 presentations 6:30, 7:00. Observing 7 – 8:30 (cloud date is Dec 2)
The club still would like to find other volunteers to do star party presentations. If anyone is interested please contact Brewster LaMacchia.
Also, we need more volunteers for the operation of the telescope at Merrimack College. If interested contact either Kevin Ackert or Fred Sammartino.
The handbooks and calendars are in and ready for pickup. Dennis has an extra calendar each and an extra handbook for sale. He will continue to send out emails stating the materials are available.
Maylo Keller has installed a computer in the observatory at Brooks School and is ready for Kevin Ackert and others to connect it to the telescope. Kevin Ackert reminded the Keller’s that the dome will be much harder to rotate in the winter with the cold and the snow and it might take two or more people to rotate the dome. The school might like to invested in motorizing the dome.
The May Board meeting date will be Friday Nov 17th at 7:30 PM at Village Restaurant in Georgetown.
Meeting adjourned 9:00 PM.
John Hobbs, Secretary NSAAC