What is it?
The Young Astronomer Program is an essay contest for students in grades 4 through 8. Students interested in winning a 6 inch Newtonian Reflecting telescope on a Dobsonian mount, or a pair of 10 X 50 astronomical quality binoculars, are nominated by their science teacher to enter the contest. Nominated students then submit an essay up to 150 words describing their interest in astronomy.
When is it?
- Your teacher submits the completed essay and nomination to us. This must be postmarked by Monday, March 31, 2012.
- Students must submit their essay to their teachers before this date so the teachers can mail it by the deadline.
- Awards will be announced between April 7 and April 14. The awards will be given out on Saturday, April 28, 2012.
Where is it?
Veasey Memorial Park
201 Washington Street
Groveland, Ma. 01834
The contest is open to everyone in grades 4 through 8, however, you must be able and willing to pick up your prize in Groveland, MA on April 28, 2012.
How do I register for the program?
Download the YAP Entry Package and take it to your teacher. The entry package contains:
- Instructions for your teacher.
- Nomination form for your teacher to fill out.
- Instructions for your parent or guardian.
Remember, you must be nominated by your teacher. Entries must be postmarked by March 31, 2012 and so must be submitted to your teacher before then.
Thank you for your interest in our Young Astronomer Program! If you have any questions you may contact the YAP Coordinator, Kevin Ackert, at 978-663-5305.